Mango Materials is a start-up company working to produce environmentally friendly, biobased, naturally occurring biopolymer from rapidly renewable resources. We have the following position(s) open:
Summer Internship at Mango Materials
Location: Oakland/Albany/Redwood Shores, CA
Pay: up to $8000 stipend (depending on time worked)
Ideal Start Date: March-June 2018
Mango Materials is a start-up company working to produce environmentally friendly, biobased, biodegradable polymers from rapidly renewable resources. We are currently focused on producing environmentally friendly fibers for the textile industry. We are seeking two interns to help with day-to-day research studies and laboratory experiments.
We are looking for currently enrolled undergraduate students who are comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up environment and are willing to work long and/or irregular hours. Candidates should be comfortable working independently, without direct supervision. Candidates should excel at multi-tasking and may be asked to help with varied tasks relating to all aspects of the business.
We are interested in students who can start work immediately on a part-time basis and work full-time over the summer but will also review candidates who can only commit to the summer period.
The mission of this position is to use research and engineering to assist in advancing the overall company goal of producing biodegradable, biobased fibers from methane gas.
Interns will be assigned to project teams based on their experience and the company’s needs.
Potential summer projects include:
- Operating bioreactors to optimize process conditions
- Assisting with polymer processing, extrusion, and analysis
- Testing downstream processing techniques for polymer purification
- Developing new assays for analytical measurements
Interns will also be expected to:
- Assist research assistants and associates with their work
- Analyze samples as required to inform experimental decisions
- Plan, design, and carry out experimental research
- Maintain cleanliness in the lab
- Perform laboratory and other company related duties designated at the discretion ofthe supervisor
The ideal candidate has experience:
- Conducting research in a wet lab
- Working in the field of microbiology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, polymer
science, materials engineering, process engineering, fiber engineering, or a related area
- Setting up and maintaining fermenters and bacterial cultures or performing polymer characterization such as analyzing crystallinity, molecular weight, or mechanical properties
- Troubleshooting laboratory experiments and equipment with little direction
- Keeping an organized and detailed laboratory notebook
- Working with MS Word and Excel
- Performing literature reviews
The candidate must be:
- Proficient in scientific writing and data analysis
- Organized and possess excellent attention to detail
- Creative, flexible, proactive, punctual
- An excellent communicator
- A team player
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
- Available to work 12 hours every week during the Spring semester a plus
Must have reliable transportation to Albany, CA area. Days in Redwood Shores will be required during the summer months.
The pay for this position is dependent on experience and hours available during the school year.
To respond to this ad, please send an email to jobs@MangoMaterials.com. Please include a short (less than 100 word) cover letter addressed to Mango Materials. Please paste it into the body of the email and specifically mention why you would be great for this position. It is ok to still attach your standard cover letter and resume to the email. Also, please change the title of the email to, “2018 Intern for Mango Materials your-last-name”. After you have signed the email please add a “PS” with one or two sentences describing what you would ideally like out of this job.
Please note, we will be reviewing resumes immediately.