Mango Materials is a start-up company working to produce environmentally friendly, biobased, naturally occurring biopolymer from rapidly renewable resources.
Entry-level laboratory assistant internship
Ideal start-date: February 2017
Pay: $1000/bi-weekly (every other week, before taxes are withheld, for the duration of the 6-month internship).
Note: We are ideally looking for team members who would like to continue working with us at the end of the temporary internship. When this happens we offer our permanent team members healthcare, vision, & dental.
Work location: 800 Buchanan St., Albany, CA
Mango Materials is a start-up company working to produce environmentally friendly, biobased, biodegradable biopolymers from rapidly renewable resources.
We are looking for an assistant to help in our laboratory who is comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up environment and doing a variety of lab-related tasks. Candidates should be comfortable working independently, without direct supervision. Candidates should excel at multi-tasking and be flexible and will likely be asked to help with varied tasks relating to all aspects of the business.
We anticipate that the hours will be roughly 9:00AM – 5:30PM, but there may be some flexibility.
This is a temporary 6-month position with the goal of becoming a permanent research position. Full healthcare benefits are offered to permanent employees.
Key lab assistant duties:
- Help with general laboratory upkeep
- Wash dishes
- Keep the lab clean
- Perform autoclaving
- Prepare mineral media and other stock solutions
- Assist as “an extra set of hands” around the research laboratory as needed
- Keep all protocols current and organized
- Alleviate minor lab crises
- Inspect satellite/hazardous waste quarterly
- Complete chemical inventory monthly
- Assist with chemical and biological experiments and analyses
- Weigh samples for analytical testing and perform analytical testing (HPLC, GC, etc.)
- Assist with additional biological or chemical experiments
- Measure optical density of biological samples
- Conduct basic maintenance of equipment
- Manage all laboratory paperwork
- Attend weekly science meetings as timing allows
- Assist with downstream processing
- De-water samples (e.g. via filtration or centrifugation)
- Perform cell lysis procedures
- Follow protocols to prepare process biopolymer pellets
- Assist with fermentation operation & set-up as needed
- Sample bioreactors
- Record data related to bioreactors
- Perform analytical tests to measure the concentrations of different ions in solution
- Help with nutrient tests with a high degree of precision
- Identify problems and report to project lead
- Monitor gas flows in and out of bioreactors
- Complete errands and related tasks like runs to Target, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, getting lunch, mailing packages and printing/pickup of posters and other materials
- Manage supplies
- Routinely keep track of supply inventory
- Arrange for supplies to be ordered
- Conduct research on new supplies needed
- Keep supply budget up-to-date
- Perform other tasks at the discretion of the supervisors
The ideal candidate is:
- Detail-oriented, punctual, reliable, and super organized
- Willing to do what it takes to help out the team
- A quick learner
- Capable of multi-tasking and quickly switching focus
- Comfortable standing for long periods of time while performing labwork
- Comfortable with strong odors
- Good communication skills
- Good time management
- Excellent attention to detail
- An associated degree a plus
- Experience in a wet laboratory a plus
- Previous, continuous work experience in any field a plus
When responding to this ad, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a short (less than 100 word) cover letter addressed to Mango Materials. Please paste it into the body of the email and specifically mention why you would be great for this position. It is ok to still attach your standard cover letter and resume to the email. Also, please change the title of the email to include your first and last name and “LA 2017 for Mango Materials”. After you have signed the email please add a “PS” with one or two sentences describing what you would ideally like out of this job. Please note that this current posting is an entry-level position and that this is a 6-month internship that ideally turns into a permanent position.
Additionally, we plan to post more job openings in the near future on both Craigslist and our company Facebook page. If you think you might be a match for Mango Materials, please feel free to follow the instructions above, but clearly state what sort of job is an ideal match. We will likely be soliciting applications for a lab coordinator and research scientist in the near future.